Yaskawa – Solectria Solar, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Yaskawa America, Inc., is the #1 commercial PV inverter supplier in the U.S. Solectria’s products include 3.8 to 750 kW PV inverters, string combiners and web-based monitoring for all size solar systems. Solectria is backed by over 100 years of power electronics an inverter experience. All of Solectria’s three-phase central PV inverters are made in the USA. System owners, developers and EPCs rely on the high performance, reliability and bankability of Yaskawa – Solectria Solar. We look to hire people who value a positive work culture, want to be part of a winning team, and have a desire to learn and grow.
Our culture of continuous improvement values hiring individuals that are looking for the opportunity to stretch their current talents and skills to the next level and beyond. If you are a Controls Engineer with a power electronics design background, we may have the perfect opportunity for you.
We are seeking a Controls Engineer in our Lawrence, MA facility. The ideal candidate will have MSEE or PhD in electrical engineering with an emphasis in power electronics and a strong understanding of PWM controlled power electronics. Significant experience in design of electronics based systems, including schematics, circuit simulation, PCB layout, testing and trouble-shooting skills are required.
We offer the opportunity to experience the excitement, challenge and rewards of working in an entrepreneurial, fast growing, and industry-leading company. This position is very hands on and will allow you the opportunity to stand out and be recognized for your success. When you join the Yaskawa Solectria Solar team, you'll be surrounded by exceptionally talented individuals widely regarded as leaders in their areas of expertise.
Yaskawa Solectria Solar is an equal opportunity employer.
1. This position will serve as a flexible project resource, performing power electronics controls software development and test as well as, power electronics system bring up, validation as required for project goals.
2. Responsible to be technical lead on power electronics embedded controls software design efforts, ensuring timely delivery of reliable and feature rich products.
3. Take lead on projects such as new features implementation which requires theoretical study, simulation analysis, software implementation, code review, documentation, lab, and field testing.
4. Coordinate directly among hardware, embedded software, application software, quality, reliability teams to understand, correct, and eliminate complex electronics failure mode, plan to execute root cause analysis of failure and timely execution of appropriate reaction plans.
5. Provide outstanding documentation of software designs.
6. Perform timing and memory analysis for high performance control system implementation.
7. Maintain tracking and documentation of project progress.
8. Participate in embedded software review and documentation.
9. Assist on standard certification of our software and product.
10. Assist on software and system level FMEA analysis.
11. Overall power stage analysis, implementation and validation including:
12. Additional duties may be assigned, as business circumstances require.
MS with 3 years experience
1. Solid knowledge and at least 3 years working experience of power electronics, experience with inverters is very much desired.
2. At least 2 years of working experience on embedded software development.
3. Knowledge of classical control theory and scientific computing.
4. Experience in design of electronics based systems, including schematics, circuit simulation, PCB layout, testing and trouble-shooting skills.
5. Proficient in C/C++, real time system design including RTOS.
6. Proficient in MatLab and Simulink for control systems.
7. A strong understanding and advocacy of defensive programming methods to defeat issues such as noise, intermittent communications, erroneous configuration entry, and communications data over-runs or errors.
8. Ability to understand complex designs and failure modes with software/hardware interactions.
9. Must have strong computer skills, ability to use design tools, system debuggers, programmers, word, excel, power point, databases, web interfaces, etc.
10. Significant understanding and work experience of software quality assurance and software testing principles and standards.
11. Knowledge of mechanical/thermal/packaging design for industrial electronics.
12. Direct experience with safe operation and testing of high power (up to 1.5MW) and high voltage (up to 600VAC, 1500VDC) equipment is a plus.
13. Experience with certification test including UL, CE, FCC is a plus.
14. Excellent interpersonal skills. Fluency in English is essential.
15. Attention to detail, self-driven as project leader.
16. Strong sense of schedule driven design, feature/effort trade efforts, and design for reliability.
17. Ability to work as a leader or individual contributor, depending upon assignment.
18. Outstanding work ethic and positive attitude required.
1. Power electronics experience with power level up to 1MW.
2. Solar inverter related experience.
3. Design and validation of safety critical software including compliance with safety standards such as UL1998 or DO-178B.
4. Advanced testing experience including unit test, functional test, system test, white box testing, black box testing, boundary testing, stress testing, and automatic regression testing.
5. Embedded communications systems including TCP/IP, Ethernet, CAN, Modbus, and wireless protocols.